Is There Danger Hiding Inside Your Teeth?
by Steven R. Johnson



“Rinse and spit!” These commands probably conjure up images of a room with a big motorized chair and shiny metal instruments. The dentist says, “I’m sorry, but you have a cavity.” What comes next? The drill, of course. And sure to follow is a metal substance used to fill the hole. This metal will protect the tender tissues near the roots of the teeth as well as fight tooth decay.
But what is the dentist putting into your mouth? The most common substance used in dental fillings is called silver amalgam. Amalgam is about 25% silver and contains tin, copper and zinc. The biggest constituent, however, is mercury, which accounts for about 50% of the weight of the filling.

Silver amalgam has been used for over 100 years by the majority of dentists and more than 180 million Americans have amalgam fillings. Throughout this century, the consensus has been that amalgam fillings are safe and the American Dental Association continues to teach dentists that silver amalgam is the best option for filling cavities. Recent studies, however, suggest that dental amalgam may contribute to some health problems. It is now thought that fillings might be releasing their contents into the body. The Swedish health board has deemed amalgam unsafe and in 1988, the United States’ Environmental Protection Agency classified scrap amalgam as toxic waste that requires special handling. In Germany, the government has banned amalgam’s use in pregnant women. The major concern is the build up of mercury toxins that can sometimes pose serious health risks.

MERCURY IS A POISON

Since the 1500’s, mercury has been considered a poison. It is the second most toxic substance on earth, even more toxic than arsenic2. A mass of mercury is not dangerous by itself, but bacteria in our body have a tendency to transform mercury into methyl mercury, which is toxic. American, Danish, Swedish and German studies have shown that there is a relationship between the amount of mercury in the blood, the brain and the kidneys, and the number of fillings3. Other studies have shown that mercury in urine and fecal samples is also linked to the number of amalgam fillings.

Mercury is an accumulative poison. As it collects, especially in the neurological tissues, it has several detrimental effects. Amounts as small as .14 mcg for a 150 pound person can kill nerve cells4. Mercury is also an immuno-suppressant. It first reduces the number of white blood cells and then inhibits the production of a key enzyme, superoxide dismutase, responsible for the protection of each individual cell. Mercury can bind to DNA which can cause autoimmune diseases. If left unchecked, mercury toxicity can lead to conditions as severe as paralysis and death. In these serious cases, mercury toxicity often mimics multiple sclerosis. Cases such as these are rare. While our bodies need a small amount of mercury in order to function properly, the amount that leaks out of fillings is usually more than enough for our bodies.

There are three ways that mercury is released from the fillings, allowing it to travel to the tissues of the body and wreak havoc. The first is through abrasion. Chewing food, bruxism, and brushing your teeth can cause erosion much like wind and water wear away rocks. Chewing on food can also lead to mercury being released as vapor. Finally, differences in the metal composition can lead to electrical charges in the mouth. In this condition, the mercury can disassociate from the fillings as metallic ions. Over time, this can lead to significant amounts of mercury release.

Once the mercury has broken free from the fillings it leaks out into the tissues. Minute amounts of methyl mercury are absorbed into the mouth and air passages. Afterwards, they find their way into the bloodstream. Disassociated ions can travel from the tooth to the root and the connective tissues of the jaw and on to the nerves. Mercury is a poison that accumulates in the pain center of the brain and the central nervous system. There is no barrier that can keep mercury from reaching the brain cells.

There are many conditions that can result from mercury toxicity, including: arthritis, asthma, birth defects, cardiac disorders, cataracts, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic sinusitis, dermatitis, eczema, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, food allergies, immune suppression, kidney damage, memory loss, multiple sclerosis, neurological disorders, periodontal disease, phlebitis and respiratory disorders. High concentrations can interfere with enzyme activity which can lead to paralysis, blindness and even death. Some tests have shown that female dental assistants are less fertile than other women.

SYMPTOMS OF MERCURY TOXICITY

There are several signals to help you know if you are suffering from chronic mercury poisoning. Some of these symptoms are: severe allergic reactions, anger, anxiety, bad breath, confusion, depression, diarrhea, digestive problems, dizziness, fatigue, fever, gingivitis, hair loss, headaches, inability to concentrate, insecurity, insomnia, loose teeth, menstrual disturbances, metallic taste in the mouth, miscarriage, nausea, nervousness, numbness, pain, seizures, sore tongue, tingling sensation, tremors, urinary difficulties, uticaria and weakness. Children may experience behavioral changes, depression, irritability and hyperactivity.

TESTING FOR SENSITIVITY TO MECURY

If you feel that you may be suffering from mercury toxicity, you can have a hair analysis done. Blood and urine tests are not always accurate indications of what is accumulating in the cells. They can only tell what is going to and coming from the cells. Hair, on the other hand, is a semipermanent record of mineral concentrations. Ask your health practitioner for a hair analysis. Muscle testing can also determine mercury incompatibility.

The Clifford Materials Reactivity Test (CMRT) can reveal metal bioincompatibility and determine your risk of mercury toxicity before your dentists puts an amalgam filling in your mouth. In this test, blood serum is exposed to several dental product components. If exposure to a material causes a build up of antibodies, you know that your system is incompatible with that metal. The results of the test are put into a computer database that determines which products you will be compatible with in case the dental material breaks down5. This test may be administered by your health practitioner.

TREATMENTS/REMOVAL

In some cases, removal of the amalgam is the best treatment. It is thought that fillings should be replaced every 7-10 years. Scandinavian lab tests show that removal of mercury fillings reduced the amount of lesions in themouth. Interestingly enough, the amalgam was found to be the cause of the lesions. Doctors have seen improvements in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, vulnerability to infection, allergies and thyroid dysfunction after the removal of fillings.
Those getting fillings removed should go in the morning as mercury vapor may linger in the air from other patients. Also, ask the dentist to use a rubber dam. Rubber dams prevent 95% of the mercury released by drilling from being swallowed. They also prevent absorption by cheeks and tongue.
Once the amalgam is removed, the dentist can refill the hole with several less toxic substances. Although no filling material has been deemed 100% free of health risks, one good option is called a composite filling. Your dentist can provide further information about different dental materials.

Take SUPER ALGAE or ALGIN 4 twice daily before meals, starting 2 weeks before dental work.

DETOXIFICATION

Removing fillings is often not enough because the mercury that has gathered in the nerves and in the brain still needs to be expelled. To eliminate mercury a detoxification program should be followed. There are several supplements that can be used to offset the effects of mercury toxicity. One is bee pollen. Bee pollen contains all the nutrients necessary for human life. Among these, it contains Vitamins A, B, C and E, calcium, magnesium, selenium, nucleic acids, lecithin and cysteine. Bee pollen has demonstrated protection from mercury.
Blood purifiers are important in detoxification. Alfalfa, kelp, algin, garlic, sarsaparilla, and red clover are good blood purifiers. Lecithin is important because it protects brain cells from the toxic effects of mercury.

The Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome newsletter suggests 3 grams daily of Chlorella to help the body expel toxic mercury.

SIX WEEK DETOXIFICATION PROGRAM

The following regimen may be useful in removing mercury and other
heavy metal toxins:

  • capsule of algin or 2 capsules of kelp
  • capsule of garlic
  • capsule of sarsaparilla
  • capsule of red clover or alfalfa
  • tablet of bee pollen
  • capsule of Super Supplemental
Each of these supplements should be taken three times daily for six weeks.
Very few of the 180 million Americans with silver fillings will have strong reactions to them; however, if you are suffering from unexplained symptoms that match those described above, please consult with a qualified health practitioner.

This information is for educational purposes only. Consult with a qualified health practictioner for all serious or persistant illness. Copyright © 1999 by Robinson & Horne, L.C., P.O. Box 1028, Roosevelt, UT 84066. This material may be duplicated for educational purposes only (not for resale) provided it is not altered in any way.